Wednesday, April 15, 2020

I'm Here!

Zoe, hello again!

This is the poem of mine that I read today, if you wanted to have a closer look at it.

Ophelia is a character in Shakespeare's Hamlet who went crazy with grief and sadness when her father died. She would give weeds to people and pretend they were flowers. But in my poem, I have "a laughing Ophelia" who is going crazy with joy! And her flowers are really flowers!

And "Primavera" is both Italian and Spanish for "spring."

I hope you enjoyed today's poetry discussion!

Tommy

*

I'm Here!
by Thomas DeFreitas (b. 1969)

I hear the birds
of Lady Primavera,
a noted purveyor of lilacs.

I see daffodils at my laptop,
hyacinths by the recliner,
bumblebees in the coffee-mug,
robins by the iPhone,
sparrows atop the fridge.

Antic, frisky,
April announces,
I'm here! and flings
her hundred thousand flowers,
a laughing Ophelia
whose mind is all light.

Pray you, mark!
this tuft of green
which shines like nature's neon.
And look, this willow
burgeoning aslant
a gaily chattering brook!

All this bright grace
after long months
of cold hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment